So, here I am, on my birthday, working a Pharmacy convention. I am sitting in a lecture hall- zoning out because the talk I am supposed to be paying attention to (hey...it sounded interesting on PAPER) has NOTHING to do with my everyday business- and this idea pops into my head. So I start typing into my phone and here is what I came up with!
What I've learned in the first 43 years of my life:
- [ ] The person you marry is THE NUMBER ONE MOST IMPORTANT decision you will ever make. I got lucky on this one!!!
- [ ] You cannot truly receive love until you truly love yourself. So if you are praying for a life-long love, pray to God to help you be at peace with YOU, first.
- [ ] Mean people are actually people who are hurting. Pray for them. I teach my kids that it is not their responsibility to "save" someone like this, but to try and remember that the brighter their light shines, the more awful it will make unhappy people feel. And to KEEP ON SHINING! Forgive, be kind and avoid them when you can and continue to let your light shine! "Haters gonna hate".
- [ ] That although I do NOT enjoy the fine lines on my face and the reduced elasticity in my stomach, I DO enjoy being comfortable in my own skin. I felt like such an ugly duckling until mid-way through college and I pray daily that I have gained enough wisdom through the years to help my own children truly embrace WHO they truly are and the gifts God gave them!
- [ ] I will ALWAYS love my sleep, will ALWAYS want to nap on the weekends and that I am pretty sure it is genetic.
- [ ] Give credit where credit is due. Compliment people for their beauty, their kindness, their intellect, a job well done, etc. LOVE ON PEOPLE! Some people don't get the love they oh-so need- so give your love!! It will come back ten-fold!
- [ ] Dream big and follow your heart! When my son was born my sixth sense kicked into high gear and became a very undeniable voice in my head. So much so that some of my girlfriends will call me b/c they want to know what "Tracy's gut says" about a situation. The more I listen to my gut, the more blessed my life has become. I wish the same for you!
- [ ] Please and thank you are the 2 most important words in the English language- USE THEM. Always!!!!! My kids have had this DRILLED into their heads! If you've met them you know this to be true.
- [ ] After please and thank you comes a smile. Flash a sincere, winning smile when approaching anyone in any situation and you increase your chances for a positive outcome exponentially!!
- [ ] Apologize when it is time for you to say you're sorry! And MEAN IT! Some people have a really hard time saying they are sorry. GET OVER IT. It will make your life so much easier and richer! And don't forget- people need to hear it differently depending on their personalities so "sorry" is not always going to cut it.
- [ ] We don't always get what we want. Look for the message in your mess! What door HAS God opened for you when he is saying "no". There is ALWAYS a silver lining.
- [ ] It sounds so cliché, but attitude IS EVERYTHING! You have a choice. Always. You absolutely have the ability to take a more positive outlook on life. You can start by stopping at the end of every day and acknowledging 3-5 things you are grateful for that took place THAT DAY! We do this as a family (almost) every night at dinner.
- [ ] You must believe in you before others will believe! We all have a history, a past. We all have BAGGAGE. So we all have a personal responsibility to GET OVER IT! Excuses aren't going to heal you--> accepting your circumstances, accepting yourself and putting one foot in front of the other in a positive direction is really your only choice IF you believe you deserve better. It begins with YOU.
- [ ] Girls/women need their girlfriends. We need that emotional connection with another "softie". Cherish your true friends, BE a good friend and treat the relationships that are true blessings in your life like gold!
- [ ] Honesty IS the best policy. Even if it is uncomfortable.
- [ ] Take care of YOU. No one else will.
- [ ] Be kind to yourself in your head. When people look at you they see a much more beautiful person than you do when you look in the mirror. Because they not only SEE you--> they experience you! Your energy, your light, your love, your kindness, your laughter. I try and remember this when I am feeling bad about myself.
- [ ] Watch what you say! (my husband would roll his eyes if that is all I wrote as my mouth can be problematic at times) The words that come out of your mouth become your reality. I kept saying to one of my fellow coaches "I don't know how I am going to get it all done." She replied "STOP saying that b/c it will become your reality! Switch your mindset AND your self talk!!". SO TRUE. As you strive towards goals visualize your success and KNOW you will do it. Stop saying "I don't know if this is going to work" as you are setting yourself up to FAIL. Positive affirmations truly work!
- [ ] You are only as good as the people you choose to surround yourself with. Period.
- [ ] Family is number one. ALWAYS.
- [ ] Never, ever forget the sacrifices your parents made for you throughout the years. There is NO GREATER LOVE than the love a parent feels for a child.
- [ ] At this age you stop growing intellectually unless you make a conscious decision to do so! With audiobooks, youtube, podcasts, etc it is easy to learn about new things.
Wow! That was a lot! And really, I have so much more in my head! Haha! There's always tomorrow, right?
Happy 43rd birthday to me! Here's to another year of growing, learning, achieving, loving, laughing, inspiring...the list goes on!